In hindsight, I now see that the other major reason my wife and I gained back the 40+ pounds we each lost was that we became complacent. Being only 15 or 20 pounds over our ultimate goals, we no longer looked or felt like fat people. Oh how nice it felt just to be "normal" people again! Sure, we still wanted to lose the rest, but since the scale wasn't cooperating, we really didn't try very hard.
At this point, it became very easy to slip back into some of our old bad habits. "Who cares if I stop and get a quarter pound double cheeseburger super-size combo meal on my way home from work? It's not like I'm gonna lose any fat this week anyway." "Who cares if I don't drag myself out of bed to exercise this morning? It's not like I'm gonna lose any fat this week anyway."
The first 20 pounds or so pretty much snuck up on us and by the time we realized what was happening we were on a downward spiral that was like trying to stop a freight train.
We now know that in order for our success this time to be long-term, we must be prepared to combat the dreaded complacency which is sure to set in again. So we have devised a plan. I can sum it up in one word: sports.
No comments:
Post a Comment