Thursday, May 07, 2009

Why can't it always be this easy?

I've been feeling really motivated to eat well and exercise this week. If I could always feel this way, I would be in much better shape both physically and mentally.

When I feel like this it is very easy to do the right things. The morning I began this competition, last Friday, I was greeted at my office by two dozen glazed Krispy Kremes. We don't have donuts here very often, and when we do, most people only eat one or half of one. So I'm like the office dog, eating what everybody else leaves behind.

I was very surprised to find Krispy Kremes there and I knew I could easily eat half a dozen or more and nobody would care. Instead, I only had one -- knowing that I could easily work it into my calorie count for the day. No guilt. No setback. No raging desire to go back into the kitchen for more. It was just that easy.

Likewise, today I was greeted with a basketful of hostess cakes -- cupcakes, twinkies, zingers, ding-dongs, etc. Again, I could have had as many as I wanted. I decided not to have any. Sure, I could work one into my calorie count today, but I'd rather not. The crazy thing is, I don't really care. And I'm not depriving myself. I'd let myself have one if I were having mad cravings, but I'm not. This must be what it feels like to be one of those naturally skinny people who just don't crave fatty foods.

Like I said, if it were always this easy, I'd be very fit right now. If only I knew how to keep it this way.

No comments: