Thursday, May 07, 2009

Lean Cuisine

I've never cared much for most microwave meals, but they sure are convenient. Since convenient access to healthy food is vital for me to establish and maintain a healthy eating routine, I need to have some on hand.

So, I went to the grocery store and found Lean Cuisines on sale for $1.99 each. They are normally nearly $4.00. So I bought 20 of them. Surprisingly, I am finding that they are pretty good -- much better than I remember from when I worked at Stouffer's back in the day.

While I believe fresh foods are a healthier option, I am finding that having these Lean Cuisines on hand is getting me off to a good start. I've had one for lunch and one for dinner each of the past two days. They actually have enough in them to satisfy my hunger, though they certainly don't leave me feeling stuffed. Of course, that's a good thing. If I needed bigger portions, I can just add a salad or some vegetables to the microwave meal. For example, last night I ate half a can of peas along with my microwave lasagna - just to make sure I was getting some veggies and to make sure I got full enough to not need to snack between dinner and bedtime. It worked.

Healthy breakfast eating has never been too hard for me as long as I can avoid the sugar cereal. Ive been eating things like yogurt/fruit smoothies, oatmeal and a banana, and eggs with a multigrain toaster waffle. And I have plenty of whole-grain Total on hand if I feel like eating cold cereal.

I also started the Couch to 5k yesterday, adding 60 second jogging intervals into my walking on the treadmill. Today was a rest day, so I did not add jogging intervals, but I still walked for nearly an hour.

If my scale continues to cooperate, I should be down 5 pounds for my end of week one weigh-in tomorrow morning.

No comments: