On the road again. Well, on the treadmill, anyway. I've been meaning to get out and do some outdoor running, but it's been so cold I haven't done it yet. So, I bought a treadmill. Although I haven't done any running since July, I was surprised to find that I could still do a thirty minute run, albeit at a very slow pace (4 mph). Over the past two weeks, running about three times a week, I have increased that to 4.5 mph.
There's a reason I haven't posted anything on my blog for over six months. My mind has been on other things. Things like cookies and donuts. And Chocolate. Another downward spiral, another 10 pounds of fat. But I haven't given up. I'm back and strong as ever.
I did not set a new year's resolution to get in shape. But it just happened to be New Year's Day when I got fed up with my self-abuse and decided to get back on the health and fitness track. No diets, no gimmicks. Just healthy eating and regular exercise. As a result, I lost 8 pounds of fat in January and plan to continue at a 2-pound per week pace.
Much to my surprise, I have felt as motivated as I've ever been to get in shape. What is interesting, is that while I feel the determination to do what it takes, I don't feel the urgency I have always felt before. Whenever I get on a health and fitness kick, I tend to want drastic results in only a few months. Then, when I don't lose 10+ pounds per month, I get discouraged. This time I really think I have a long-term perspective. While I am shooting for 2-pounds per week, I don't have a goal to be ripped by this summer. I do, however, plan to have my bodyfat percentage down in the single digits by the next time we go to Maui -- which will probably be May of 2008.
Also, my fitness goals this time are not solely fat-loss related. I was really disgusted with myself for not running the 4th of July race with my wife last year. I am going to run it this year, ready or not. So I'd better make myself ready. That's really why I've been wanting to get out and run and why I bought the treadmill. So far, it's been great. Watching TV while running really helps relieve the boredom.
My wife hasn't run much over the winter, but she has already been running for about a month getting ready for this year's July 4 race. She is also running a 4-mile race tomorrow morning. Again, I want to run with her, but am not ready. The most I have ever run is 2.25 miles. That was two days ago. On the treadmill. So I'm not going to push myself to run four miles in the frigid air tomorrow morning.
I am, however, going to run a 5k with her in March. I have four weeks to get ready. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to the July 4 race. We have decided to make it an annual event. A tradition. Every year we run the July 4 race. I may hate it, but if getting ready for that race every year will keep me from getting fat again, it will be worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment