Today was an off day for running, but I was tempted to get on the treadmill anyway. With my first 5k coming up in a few weeks, I'm getting anxious about my slow pace. I know everybody says not to worry about that, but I really don't like the idea of coming in long after the race is over. At my current pace of just under 15 minutes per mile, I'm afraid that is what will happen. If I can at least get up to a 10-12 minute per mile pace, I'll feel a lot better about it.
Since it was not a running day, it was a lifting day. I did some typical dumbell lifts (shoulder press, flyes, lateral raises, curls, rows, etc.) on one of those big exercise balls -- seeing as how I don't have a bench. It feels good to be working my muscles again. I plan to get into a three-day a week lifting habit, while running on alternate days.
I was looking at Hal Higdon's Spring Training (HHST) schedule yesterday, and I think it looks like something I can probably handle. However, it includes four days of running per week and my wife thinks I should stick with three days a week for now. On the other hand, two of those days are really light days (only 1.5 miles in the early weeks), so I don't think it would be a problem for me.
My plan for this week is to increase my distance to three miles per run. If I continue running three times per week, that means I will run nine miles next week. The first week of the HHST is exactly nine miles -- two 3-mile runs and two 1.5 mile runs. If I start the HHST next week, I will be running the same number of miles as I was planning to run anyway. So as long as I reach my goal of running three miles tomorrow and again on Saturday, I think I am going to start the HHST on Monday.
No comments:
Post a Comment