Friday, February 24, 2006

Keeping it off is the hard part

Since losing fat is such a difficult task, I've often wondered why people say keeping it off is the hard part. After all, you can eat more when you are maintaining than when you are losing.

After being on this roller coaster ride for many years now, I am really beginning to see why keeping it off is the hard part. It all has to do with motivation. When I am motivated to lose fat, I can stay that way for months. When I am motivated it really isn't that hard to exercise every day and limit what I eat. But when that motivation disappears, there's nothing to get me up off the couch and there's nothing stopping me from eating a half dozen Krispy Kremes whenever I get the urge.

It seems I am either on track or off track, there is no in-between. So even though maintaining does not take as much effort as losing, I have to be "on-track" to do it. And while I can stay on track for months at a time, I have not yet learned the secret to being on track for years at a time. This is why I am still fat (or shall I say fat again?) even though I have fought, and seemingly won, the battle of the bulge on multiple occasions.

4 comments:

Nika said...

CJ,
Again I fully concur!! I either have excellent days of excercise, and eating right. OR, I just go ballistic. Today was one of those days. I am hoping tomorrow will be much better! But, with my hubby, kids and I going on a road trip......well, I am sure you can imagine my fears. Wish me luck. And keep up the good work!

CJ said...

Vacations are the worst for me (see my post about our cruise, for example). Though I have done ok on some trips by making it a point to eat as much fruit and vegetables as possible.

CJ said...

Oh yeah, and good luck.

Nika said...

The trip went well, I ate as best as I could, MOST of the time given the circumstances. I did allow myself one social mixed drink on Saturday, and then yesterday I did well up until dinnertime. It was late, and there wasn't a great selection. Poor excuses. I had a crispy chicken sandwich and french fries at Arbys. Strike two for me.